[Asterisk-Users] QOS / Cisco / Asterisk

Matt Schulte mschulte at netlogic.net
Tue Jan 4 11:29:57 MST 2005

> What's wrong with doing it by port?

We're actually using SIP to terminate calls, going by rtp.conf the ports
could range several thousand ports. What we're going for is only
honoring TOS for that particular customer, luckily these are T1
customers hosted on our routers. They understand that their firewalls
cannot pass TOS, if they do (ie: we packet sniff and see this) then
they're on their own.

In a nutshell we wanted to avoid using hardcoded ports, what if say a
game server was in that port range (and used udp lol), you would be
rather screwed.

>same TOS flags as Asterisk, by prioritizing port 4569 (IAX2 protocol)
you know for sure that the
>only packets in that queue are VoIP traffic. Also, what about your
incoming traffic? Are the TOS
>flags correct there? I'm not saying that TOS is bad, just that as
you've seen, it can get changed