[Asterisk-Users] HDLC Bad FCS (8) HDLC Abort on TE410P

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Tue Jan 4 09:49:17 MST 2005

Hi Roberto-

About a year ago, I ran extensive loopback tests of the kind you
described.  I used various processors and motherboards, and used Fedora
Core 1 with 2.4 kernels.  (See the asterisk-users message archives and
the wiki for more info).

I got similar results to yours, except that I had no "IRQ misses".  I
think that the underlying problem is that the processor is not quite
keeping up with the interrupt service.  My customer likes HP's, so I ran
it on a couple models and found that I had to move up to the Proliant
DL360 (3.4 Ghz Dual Xeon) before I could get absolutely trouble-free
operation with all 120 channels running.

At the time, the theory seemed to be that a lot of call setup's, not
just overall call load, contributed to the problem, and that asterisk's
recovery from frame errors was less than ideal and introduced a bunch of
overhead.  Anyway, I gave up looking for perfection and just use a very
fast processor when I want to handle 120 channels with no errors.

Best regards
Scott Stingel
President
Emerging Voice Technology, Inc.