[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 (IAXy) and DTMF Question

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Mon Jan 3 22:46:05 MST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Brent Goran wrote:

> Specifically, when two IAX2-based devices are talking, when they send
> DTMF to eachother, the other side only hears clicks, and maybe a
> millisecond of DTMF tone, but not any real duration.

Looks like the IAXy at the originating end converts the audio DTMF into an
IAX "DTMF" message (and strips the DTMF out in the process).  Meanwhile
the IAXy at the answering end doesn't convert the DTMF indication message
back into tones.

Other channels like Zap etc to convert the indication back into tones.

I guess Digium would ask why you need to hear the DTMF tone in a phone?
Their space in the IAXy memory is very constrained.

Steve