[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk CPU priorities (nice?)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Jan 3 07:45:40 MST 2005

> Had a good question for the list, it seems whenever I work in an
> Asterisk console or on the machine normally I get jitters on any audio
> going through it. Especially if you did file copies or a 'ps ax' for
> example. I was wondering if there was a proper way to 'nice' the
> asterisk proc's? Cisco does this for example to it's "EXEC" and icmp
> processes, I tried reniceing the asterisk processes with very bad
> results, especially when I/O (voicemail, etc) comes into play. I'm not
> swapping out or anything, ideas?
>
> p.s. I searched the wiki but not exactly sure what to search for I
> guess, I imagine someone out there has run into these issues?

Over the last couple of months there has been multiple postings relative
to changing the pci latency associated with the disk and pstn interfaces.
General comments tend to suggest the disk can consum hugh amounts of
time, impacting ethernet and/or pstn interfaces (and thus audio).

I've not played a lot with the latency settings, but understand its a
balancing act between specific devices on _your_ system (not necessarily
anyone elses). If you execute a "lspci -v" (as an example), you'll see
the current pci latency settings.

Google should find several references.