[Asterisk-Users] Configuration details for Asterisk interactionwith Vocal

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Mon Jan 3 00:33:47 MST 2005

Please put this in the Wiki (HYPERLINK
"http://www.voip-info.org"www.voip-info.org). It is valuable information
and will reach a wider audience there.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of
radhakrishnan.vijay at wipro.com
Sent: January 3, 2005 1:52 AM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Configuration details for Asterisk
interactionwith Vocal

I have seen a number of people in this newsgroup asking for information
regarding asterisk interworking with Vocal. I was able to configure
Vocal and Asterisk so that calls originating from vocal can land on an
extension in Asterisk. I would like to share this info with the group

The scenario that I tested was as follows.

A call was originated from extn. 1001 on Vocal and the call was made to
land on extension 12456 hanging from an asterisk pbx registered with
vocal. Vocal was configured such that, if the dialed digits are 8500,
the call will be routed to asterisk to which will handle the call  on
extension 12346 hanging off  asterisk

Configuration on Vocal’s side

------------------------------------

All calls made to 8500 are forwarded to asterisk. This is achieved by
adding  the following entry to the dial plan of Vocal using the provgui
as mentioned below:

Add a new entry in the dial plan as shown below

Key

-----

^sip:8500

Contact

---------

^sip:8500@<ip-address:port>

ipaddress:port is where  the asterisk pbx is listening for sip messages.

Also make a ummy entry for extension 8500 in Vocal (so that vocal thinks
this is an extn. Connected to vocal).

Configuration Changes in asterisk

-----------------------------------

A register entry as shown below is added to the [general] section of the
sip.conf file in the asterisk server

register =8500:password at vocal/12346

This would register the extension 8500 with the vocal server using the
vocal tag. All calls received from vocal would terminate in extension
1246.

The following is the information contained in the vocal tag.

[vocal]

type=friend                    ; either "friend" (peer+user), "peer" or
"user"

callerid=Test 1 <12346>

host=10.117.4.236               ; we have a static but private IP
address

port=5065

This indicates that the calls will be received from the Vocal server
running on host 10.117.4.236 on port 5065 (port where Marshall server is
running).

The following details are included in the extensions.conf file so that
calls originating from vocal can be answered by the extension 12346.

exten => 12346,1,NoOp(.call for .${EXTEN})

exten => 12346,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},60,tr)

exten => 12346,3,Congestion

The following is the configuration information for the extension 12346
(Xlite UA client running on Windows) in the sip.conf file.

[12346] ; X-Lite client 12346

type=friend

secret=blah

auth=md5

nat=no ; we assume clients are not behind NAT

host=dynamic ; and have dynamic IP addresses

reinvite=no ; if so, we need to make them

canreinvite=no ; always go through Asterisk

qualify=1000

dtmfmode=inband

callerid="Test 1" <12346>

disallow=all

allow=gsm ; add whatever other codecs we fancy

context=test1 ; use a context that exists ;-)

A corresponding entry for the context test1 is required in
extensions.conf to complete configuration of extension 12346

[test1]

exten => _[123456789]XXXX,1,NoOp(.call for ..${EXTEN})

exten => _[123456789]XXXX,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},60,tr)

exten => _[123456789]XXXX,3,Congestion

This should be suffecient for you to land all calls originating from
Vocal with dialed digits 8500 to land on extn 12346 in asterisk.

Tip:

To ensure that asterisk has correctly registered with vocal just run the
show sip registry from the asterisk console to show all the peers in the
network

Confidentiality Notice

to this message are intended
for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential
or privileged information. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or
Mailadmin at wipro.com immediately