[Asterisk-Users] Is asterisk that unstable ????

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Jan 1 07:59:51 MST 2005

>  > Any PC platform is only as stable
> > as the sum of what you run on it, put a single analog interface in a red
> > hat ES on $10,000 worth of hardware and you will have to reboot every 3
> > days.
>
> I'm not seeing these problem with X101P, nor does any of my (not so
> many) clients. And all that's boils down to is that: a. I'm lucky and b.
> I've have helped my luck by using only one card per machine, choosing a
> good MB and making sure the card don't share IRQ with anything.
>
> But the point still remains - any software or hardware that needs to be
> rebooted every 3 days to work is broken and should not be used. Period.
>
> If you use such software or hardware you should find out what's wrong
> and fix it or switch to something else.

I think you've really nailed it on the head with the above statement.
The problem is that everyone keeps harping on shared interrupts, repeating
statements that others have made, etc, but no one is actually making any
attempt to identify the root problem. And, primarily because this seems
to be a very technical issue with digium cards only, where the majority
of developers and those with the skills necessary to identify the root
cause don't use digium cards.

These systems (motherboards and all) don't have a problem with 99.9% of
other vendor's cards and drivers, but yet the * resolution constantly boils
down to things like swapping motherboards instead of identifying what the
issue really is in terms of certain digium cards.