[Asterisk-Users] Is asterisk that unstable ????

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Sat Jan 1 07:03:49 MST 2005

Damon Estep wrote:

 > Any PC platform is only as stable
> as the sum of what you run on it, put a single analog interface in a red
> hat ES on $10,000 worth of hardware and you will have to reboot every 3
> days.

I'm not seeing these problem with X101P, nor does any of my (not so
many) clients. And all that's boils down to is that: a. I'm lucky and b.
I've have helped my luck by using only one card per machine, choosing a
good MB and making sure the card don't share IRQ with anything.

But the point still remains - any software or hardware that needs to be
rebooted every 3 days to work is broken and should not be used. Period.

If you use such software or hardware you should find out what's wrong
and fix it or switch to something else.

The reason that the connection between "nightly reboots" and MS exists
is because: a. MS users they can't fix it - it's propritery and b. MS
users can't replace it - for a heck load of reasons not interesting to
discuss now.

Basically what we're saying is that "nightly reboot" is simply not an
option, except in MS shops, that for some reasons are willing to accept
such low quality.

How and why this comes about is left as excersize to the alert reader... ;-)

Gilad