[Asterisk-Users] T.38 fax summary

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Sun Feb 27 18:45:01 MST 2005

On 2005.02.27 11:28 Jon Gabrielson wrote:
> You wouldn't happen to know how to do this would you?
> I currently have a box with both hylafax and asterisk installed.
> asterisk handles the dedicated voice lines over a t100p and
> hylafax handles the dedicated fax lines over a 4port serial card
> with external modems.
> It would be really nice if I could have them share the lines
> instead of having all the lines dedicated to either one or the
> other.  The problem is that the only way to detect whether it
> is a fax is for asterisk to answer it first and then there is no way
> that I know of to send it on to hylafax.

Sure there is a way.  A couple of ways (at least).

1) Get a 4-port TDM card and install it into your Asterisk box.
Connect the TDM ports to your modem ports.  Then forward incoming calls
on fax DIDs to those TDM ports.

2) Get another T1 port in the Asterisk box and get a T1 fax modem and
do the same thing.  You probably don't have the fax-demand to justify
the hardware expense, though.

Lee.