[Asterisk-Users] DISA and a long delay; ideas?

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Sun Feb 27 14:22:50 MST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, C. Tomlinson wrote:

> I have just setup a DISA setup whereby people can dial in, authenticate, are
> given a dialtone and can then call out.
>
> Everything works however there is a 10 second delay after the user enters
> the number and presses #, until the system does anything.
>
> Here is the relevant section from my extensions.conf:
>
> [dialtone]
> exten => s,1,Authenticate(1234)
> exten => s,2,DISA(no-password|dialtone_outgoing)
>
> [dialtone_outgoing]
> exten => _01.,1,Dial(${OUTGOING}/44${EXTEN:1},30,L(60000:30000:10000))
> exten => _07.,1,Playback(pbx-invalid)
<snip>
> HOWEVER there is a 10 second delay between the dialing (followed by #) and
> the system doing anything.

My first guess would be digit timeouts. Your patterns are _01. and _07..
These don't give asterisk any hints about how many digits to expect, so
its only choice is to wait for the maximum digit timeout period to be sure
that it doesn't make a decision early before you've entered all your
digits.

The "best" thing (in my view) would be to completely specify the digit
patterns you want users to be able to use. This gives you the opportunity
to control which numbers may be called and which may not, and it also
gives asterisk hints about what kinds of digit patterns it should expect.
These hints allow it to make faster decisions about whether a digit
pattern is complete and/or valid. An alternative would be to use the
DigitTimeout application to set a lower timeout period.

Greg