[Asterisk-Users] ATA that actually work with T.38

Mark Eissler mark at mixtur.com
Fri Feb 25 08:30:24 MST 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 7:55 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> If you understand what T.38 is you will understand which problems it
> addresses (summary: it is important for solving some problems, but
> nothing solves them all). Most people who post about T.38 don't
> actually have much of a clue about it.

I think the biggest hurdle still for T.38 is lost packets and timing
issues. In other words, the realtime-ness (?) of it is a huge problem.
IMHO the whole thing's a bust until we all get QoS across the public
network. And let's face it, if you have a private IP network with QoS
you really don't need T.38. So I'm a bit lost as to how T.38 is really
a solution to much of anything at this point yet the hype would have
one conclude otherwise.

As for Asterisk not having to know much about T.38...well, that's only
true if the only support that will be available (on the Asterisk end)
is via an analog adapter that supports T.38. If you want to hookup a
fax machine to a port on a channel bank or a zap card then you're going
to be out of luck unless the zaptel driver supports T.38.

-mark

Mark Eissler, mark at mixtur.com
Mixtur Interactive, Inc. - at - http://www.mixtur.com