[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel (Junghanns 4BRI card) to cell phone problem

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Feb 25 06:32:58 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 14:22 +0100, Roberto Piola wrote:
> We have set up an HP DL380 with 3 4BRI cards, Fedora core 2 (kernel 2.6.10)
> and asterisk (bristuff-0.2.0-RC7f with asterisk 1.0.5). 4 ports are
> configured in TE mode and connected to the PSTN; the other 8 are in NT mode
> and connected to isdn phones.
>
> the other outbound calls to PSTN are fine, however, when we call cellular
> phones, often audio is one-way (i.e.: the cell phone user can not hear,
> while the speaker at the internal side hears perfectly.
>
> CPU usage is quite low, and asterisk -rvvv does not show anything particular

In South Africa, I have a 4-port ISDN BRI (Euro-ISDN) with bristuff.
Calls to Cell phones are no different to any other call...

I also added a Digium 4-port analogue card - and have a 'PremiCell'
connected to a Trunk line. The PremiCell is a fixed cell device that
gives dial-tone in the same way that a Telcom Trunk line would work -
except there is no copper to he exchange - just a stubby cellphone
antenna.  In South Africa it is MUCH MUCH cheaper to make a Cell to Cell
call than from Telcom to Cell....

I'm surprised that more people do not put down a 'PremiCell' type device
and route all Cell calls out through it...
--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa.  e.164 VOIP ready
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE