[Asterisk-Users] choppy and cracking sound from zyxel prestige 2002

listasterisk.20.eenewz at spamgourmet.com listasterisk.20.eenewz at spamgourmet.com
Thu Feb 24 12:56:50 MST 2005

Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions hooking Zyxel Prestige 2002 to Asterisk?

I have tested Zyxel Prestige with both supported codecs.

Call with G.711 sounds very choppy and cracking. Almost can't understand
a word.

Today I installed G.729 support into Asterisk but unbearable voice
quality remains. It's a little bit better though.

I have tested that Zyxel ATA with some commercial SIP providers
(stanaphone, simpletelecom etc.) and the quality is OK.
tcpdumping connection with both providers showed that G.711 alaw/ulaw
was in use.

Some Grandstream phones are also hooked into that same Asterisk pbx and
using G.711. Those devices voice quality is superb.

Firmware installed in Zyxel Prestige 2002 is V3.60(MD.2)C0 (latest).

Please help.

Thanks in advance.