[Asterisk-Users] Sound files quality and volume

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Feb 23 15:24:14 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 16:11 -0600, Anton Krall wrote:
> I just noticed that quality of .gsm files for using with asterisk is not
> that good.. is there any way to make then sound better? asterisks sample
> voices sound way better than theones recorded using applications like
> wavepad or with asterisk like unavailable messages... any tips? Do you know
> the command line for sox to adjust the volumen levels or gsm files (make the
> louder)?
>
> Also, do they have to be .gsm?

I'm assuming wavepad is an audio editor. If you don't like the sound
volume, you need to either increase it when recording or you can attempt
to shift the audio up with your audio editor.

As for sox, that is exactly what man is for. I think there is simple
volume changes that can be made with the -v flag. If you want it raised
without distorting, before you convert to gsm, use normalize on the wav
file. Afterwords use soxx to convert to gsm, or then again, if it is on
your machine and is unlikely to be transfered, don't use gsm, use wav.
The difference is you won't introduce any compression artifacts into the
audio quality.

If you don't like the quality of audio when recording with wav settings
using asterisk, maybe you need a better phone or to just get used to
what you actually sound like when your voice traverses the phone
systems.