[Asterisk-Users] Problem connecting a TE410P to an E1/IP equipment

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed Feb 23 14:00:34 MST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Peter Svensson wrote:
>
> > Yellow alarm is the same as "remote alarm" - i.e. the other side is saying
> > that it cannot hear you. Given the Loss Of Framing on the other end this
> > seems resonable.
>
> Actually, "yellow alarm" is most frequently generated when the link
> (physical layer) is up and running, but the circuit (logical layer) is
> not "up" (administratively).

Yellow alarm means that the "Alarm Indication" bit is set in the received
syncronization frame from the far end equipment. As far as I know (and can
tell from Cisco etc) the AI is most often set on incoming red alarm, i.e.
loss of signal.

> LOF usually generates "red alarm" in my experience if left uncorrected :-)

LOF would generate a local red alarm and a yellow alarm at the other end,
if that path is working.

What the original poster is seeing could be as simple as one pair being
bad. I think a slightly broken rx pair from the remote equipment to his
Asterisk box would create this pattern of alarm. Of course, it could be a
broken E1 card as well at either end.

I'd try placing a loopback plug at various places, facing either way,
along the path between the two pieces of equipment.

Peter