[Asterisk-Users] Best practices direction

Robert Webb asterisk at ropeguru.com
Wed Feb 23 11:58:54 MST 2005

Ok,

  With all that has been going on with the list today I may be sticking
my head out of my gopher hole and find a 12 gauge at point blank. But I
am going to take the chance....

I have just started using * about a month ago. I have a small unit setup
at home running all my PSTN and VoIP lines. I am using external SIP and
IAX soft phones from work and everything is running. I want to do more,
but before I do, I want to see if there are any "best practices" guide
lines out there.

I have my extensions.conf setup, but to me it looks really messy. At the
moment, I do have a lot of test extensions in there that I will be
clearing out that should help. But I still would like to know what is
the preferred way of setting up the config files for optimum/clean use.

I do my best to search for the answers on the list, wikki and google
before coming here. I have seen a couple of books available on eBay and
other places that are dedicated to Asterisk. But I have also read, that
at least one book, is pretty much a ripoff.

I still have a lot to lear, mainly things like perl, mySQL and other
interfaces, in order to do the things I want. I have learned a lot from
this list so far and am still learning. But I would like to learn the
right way before the wrong way so I do not have to retrain myself later.

Robert