[Asterisk-Users] List tips for new subscribers

Phil Quinney phil at any-ideas.com
Wed Feb 23 09:48:17 MST 2005

Whilst some valid points are being made I'd like to add my two pence...

I've been using Asterisk for a year now. In that time I've only asked two
questions: one about the outbound proxy support and one about call transfers.
All the other information I've needed I was able to find in the Wiki, or
failing that with a quick google search.

I often see questions posted to the list which have been previously answered
several times (often just a few days previously). These answers are archived
in the list archives which are easily searchable with google.

Posting questions such as "why do I get messages about RFC 3389 support when
using X-Lite" scream "I couldn't be bothered to search google". Google would
provide a faster answer and not waste the time of the other list subscribers,
not to mention the additional load on Digium's email servers. In my opinion
its nothing more than common courtesy to do as much work as you can first,
then ask for help. In the end you'll learn more. The developers who are kind
enough to take the time to keep an eye on the Users mailing list have a finite
amount of time. Responding to lazy questions only wastes their time and
reduces the amount of time they can spend on Asterisk development.

As for buying unnecessary Digium hardware just to put money into Asterisk -
thats (imo) silly. There are lots of other ways to support Asterisk. Write
documentation, contribute to the Wiki, answer mailing list questions. I try to
post replies to questions when I can (which I do regret isn't often because of
my University work).

With all of the above in mind, I do think something like an FAQ would be a
great addition. I'm not sure if there is one on the Wiki but it would help cut
down on a number of unecessary postings, and their assosciated replies from Mr
Critchfield.

Just my 2p.

Phil.