[Asterisk-Users] List tips for new subscribers

Alex Barnes abarnes at ubiquitysoftware.com
Wed Feb 23 08:26:14 MST 2005

I have been holding back from perpetuating this thread but it beats
doing real work so here goes my two cents.

Digium need to take some of the flak on this imho.  I say this because I
feel their marketing should make it abundantly clear that Asterisk is
not a simple product to configure & admin.
(side note: If you havent bought their hardware and are using Asterisk
for "free" them again you should expect even less assistance imo)

That is to say I don't see how people without either programming
experience or some good scripting knowledge would really be able to get
the most out of Asterisk (certainly in a business environment).  If its
for a business then you should pay someone to help.

If your playing with it at home then that's great but just don't expect
quick replies for beginner advice on this list.  My take is by all means
ask just don't expect pleasant replies if your installation / config
questions are answered on the WIKI or if you are requesting "dumbing
down" of the info given.

That said some people do reply to questions in an overly aggressive and
unconstructive manner and this helps nobody.  Best course of action is
ignore the question and move on with whatever keeps you off the streets
during the day ;-)

Good luck

Alex

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential information of Ubiquity Software Corporation.  All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this email.  Unless otherwise expressly agreed in a writing signed by an officer of Ubiquity Software Corporation, nothing in this communication shall be deemed to be legally binding.  Thank you.