[Asterisk-Users] Difference between E1 and PRI

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Wed Feb 23 06:07:36 MST 2005

Eric,

E1 is a physical layer protocol, like ethernet. It defines a 2Mbps pipe,
which can be used for data, or can be split into 32 64Kbps telephone
channels, or a mixture. If used for telephone channels, 30 of these
channels can carry one telephone conversation each, and 2 carry
signalling and timing information.

T1 is similar to E1. It is used in North America. It is 1.544Mbps, and
can carry 24 telephone channels, each of which can carry a telephone
conversation (but see below).

There are a number of protocols which can run on top of E1. Some of
these are called CAS, Channel Associated Signalling. Examples are FXS
loop start and E&M wink start. They provide information such as the
number that was called, and what state the call is in. They're limited
in what information they can carry, and are slow to set up.

A more modern protocol which overcomes these problems is ISDN. On E1,
EuroISDN is the standard. On T1, there are different standards from
different providers. DMS100, DMS250, NI1, and NI2 are common examples.
ISDN uses one channel (called the D channel) for signalling call
information. On E1, this is one of the 2 signalling channels, leaving 30
channels for voice (called B channels). On T1, there aren't any spare
signalling channels, so one of the voice channels is used, leaving 23 B
channels for voice.

A PRI (Primary Rate ISDN) is simply an E1 or T1 with ISDN on top of it.
ISDN gives fast, reliable call setup and hangup detection, and detailed
information about the call. In the UK, PRI is also called ISDN30.

An important extension to ISDN is Q.SIG, which provides extra signalling
information that is used when connecting PBX systems.

An alternative to PRI is BRI (Basic Rate ISDN), which is a cheaper
system for small offices. It has 2 64Kbps B channels for voice, and 1
16Kbps D channel for signalling. It is sold as an alternative to
analogue telephone lines. IN the UK, it is also called ISDN2e.

I hope this answers your question! My company offers commercial support
and installation services for PRI and Asterisk if you need help for
specific scenarios.

This email may form the basis of a future Integrics Tip. See:

http://integrics.com/tips/

Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,
Telephony, Database, Unix consulting worldwide
+44 (0)7870 699 479
http://integrics.com/