[Asterisk-Users] TFTP Server

Gary G. Hendershot GHendershot at cox.net
Tue Feb 22 15:24:40 MST 2005

The Cisco phone is defaulted to getting its IP address and related from a
DHCP server ...  One of the things the phone expects to get from the DHCP
server is the address of the TFTP server ... If there is no TFTP server
address handed out by the DHCP server, the phone assumes that the DHCP
server is also the TFTP server ...

In many cases, a low end SOHO style router/nat/firewall gizmo is used to
provide the DHCP service for a small office or home environment ... the DHCP
server provided by these gadgets is just flat not smart enough to be
configured with the settings that the phone wants to see ...  So the easiest
solution to setting up the phone becomes providing it with manual settings
instead of using DHCP ... It is also possible to configure a DHCP service on
your Asterisk box, but then you open yet another can of worms ...

It is possible to assign it a static IP address and also a static TFTP
server IP address ... I seem to recall that the default key combination on
the Cisco 7960 to "unlock" the settings is to press " **# " just before you
press the "settings" button, but don't hold me to it ... Check the Cisco web
site for this piece of the puzzle as I could be wrong ...

If you want to compare notes on using the Cisco 7960 you can email me off
list and I will happily share what I have figured out ...  You may figure
out a trick that can help me also as my config is still far from perfect ...

Regards

G.Hendershot