[Asterisk-Users] Minimal hardware requirements

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Tue Feb 22 13:29:57 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 01:52, Mark Eissler wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2005, at 7:35 PM, Rudolf Ladyzhenskii wrote:
>
> > Hi, all
> >
> > I am doing "prrof of concept" system. I will have two IP phones
> > connected to Asterisk box. Box itself will have 1 PSTN conenction and
> > one analog phone conenction. A basic minimal configuration.
> >
> > At the moment I am planning to use an old PII-350 with 128M of RAM I
> > have lying around. I can not test anything yet, as I am waiting for
> > phones to arrive, so question is will that be enough to demonstrate?
> >

> Scrap any analog connections. Get a VOIP SIP adapter to handle analog.
> Setup VOIP to PSTN termination via one of the many providers.

If they are available - not so usually outside of capital cities (in AU
at least)

>  No need
> for TDM cards. Your system will work fine.

You can have a problem if you make emergency calls over IP - the call is
focussed on the PSTN drop off point, so may not be local.  Consider the
risk of bigger installations.

>  I've done this on an old
> Pentium Pro with only 128MBs for a small system. You only need bigger
> hardware if you're going to add many more users. Two SIP phones is
> nothing.
>
> -mark
>
> --
> Mark Eissler, mark at mixtur.com
> Mixtur Interactive, Inc. - at - http://www.mixtur.com

Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates;
Your Linux people <http://www.lannetlinux.com>
"When you just want a system that works, you choose Linux;
when you want a system that just works, you choose Microsoft."