[Asterisk-Users] newbie needs advice

Jason Fayre jfayre at cocenter.org
Tue Feb 22 10:34:09 MST 2005

Hello Everyone,
I am looking into using Asterisk as our company PBX and voicemail system.  I
am very familiar with Linux, but the VOIP stuff is new for me.
We are a non-proffit organization, so keeping things as cheap as possible is
very important.  I am looking on some advice for best implementing Asterisk.
Here is a rundown of our current system:
We have 14 phone lines coming into the building.  Aprox. 10 of them are for
our current Mitel PBX system.
We also have two fax lines.
Because of the proprietary nature of our Mitel phones, I will need to
replace our current phones.
I am looking at the Sipura SPA-841 phones as well as a few SPA-2000 ATAs for
the few analog phones we have.
My concern is for our incoming lines.  I am not sure whether to go with a
VOIP provider or to stay with our existing lines.  A T-1 may also be an
option for our phone lines.  We could also use the t-1 for our internet.
Does anyone know of a PSTN gateway that is fairly inexpensive that would
allow us to use our existing phone lines?
As I said earlier, the deciding factor is cost.  I also want something that
is reliable.
Ideally, I would like to go with the option that is the least difficult to
set up and maintain.  I am the only IT person in our organization that knows
how to work with Linux.

I am basically looking for some guidance here.  Has anyone dealt with a
similar situation and how did you resolve it.
Any help would be appreciated.

-- Jason Fayre
Colorado Center for the Blind