[Asterisk-Users] Zap timing device

Umar Sear umarsear at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 07:33:19 MST 2005

Dear list,

I have been using asterisk for some time now. However I have never
used it with any of the digium or compatable cards (Purely used for
SIP).

I understand that for using Meetme, I need to have a timing device,
which could either be hardware or zrdummy etc (I am not using any
right now).

Can someone tell me if the timing device is needed for voicemail and
other applications too?. I am currently using voicemail, however at
times the sound gets choppy and when I log on to the cli I see lots of
"event scheduled in the past" warnings.

I am using a fairly high speced machine (Athlon 64 3Ghz with 1GB RAM
...) so I can't imagine the system is being starved of CPU resource
(Top shows the CPU idle rarely fallng below 90%)

Currently I am not running stable versoin, rather a farely old cvs
version (these are production units so hard to upgrade without a lot
of effort), I do plan to upgrade to stable version as soon as
possible, however would like some advice as to the best way to improve
things and eliminate the choppyness and the warnings.

Thanks

Umar