[Asterisk-Users] A bit of a survey: What do do if youneedmorethan4 C.O. lines

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sun Feb 20 09:44:46 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2005, at 16:22, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>
>> asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>>> If you have a TDM card already, buying a T1, channelbank, etc. to
>>> add a few lines is the stupidest thing I've heard of today.
>>
>> Not necessarily stupid, but certainly expensive.
>>
>>> Have you looked into buying some cheap multiport ATAs? 2 port
>>> SIP/IAX2 ATA should be around $70-80?
>>
>> Yep, that's a possibility, but it's rather more kludgy than I'd like.
>> (heck, the channel bank and T1 is more kludgy than I'd like - an
>> integrated card would be my preference).
>>

>>> -Michael

I like the thinking; the challenge is often where in the world you are,
and how much competition there is. Here in Ontario, T1's were generally
priced such that fractional T1s hardly saved anything. There is more
competition now, so prices are changing, but I still can't see frac T1
service competing with such a small number of analog circuits. I know
there are places where such a thing could be had very competitively, so
your advice is still good.

> Plus you avoid the (possible) need for a channel bank.

Agreed.

Thanks kindly for the reply.

Regards,

Jim.