[Asterisk-Users] Anyone having trouble with VoicePulse Connect?

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 17:33:46 MST 2005

Robert, thank you very much for that informative
write-up. Of course, I now have more questions. The
first is really basic. I thought "extension" meant
something the caller dials _after_ reaching asterisk.
How come incoming DIDs have to be handled as if they
are extensions?

More questions follow:

--- Robert Hajime Lanning
<lanning+asterisk at monsoonwind.com> wrote:

      -- snip --
> "s" is the "start" extension if there is not one
> already
> provided.  When DID comes in, the channel is kindof
> "predialed".
> This is with most digital calls, SIP, IAX, H323,
> ISDN/PRI...

So the DID sort of dials its own number as an
extension? I'm not sure I understand, but that seems
to be the only way it would make sense to treat an
incoming DID as an extension.

> You purchase a DID.  When a call comes in it says,
> "This is the
> number they were calling, you do your own matching
> to whatever
> extension you want."

Okay, that sort of helps me get a mental picture of
what's going on.

    -- snip --

> Usually you do not use wildcards for DIDs.  This is
> because
> people normally purchase more than one.  So, you
> need to
> distinguish between phone numbers.
>
> I currently have two numbers from VoicePulse, so my
> extensions.conf
> has this: (numbers are changed to avoid crank calls)
>
> [DID]
> exten => _4157611829,1,Goto(PublicExtensions,8001,1)
> exten => _4157611763,1,Goto(PublicExtensions,8003,1)
>
> So, all inbound calls from VoicePulse goto this
> context.
> I jump from here to the extension I want the
> external phone
> number mapped to.

OKAY. That example really helped. So you're basically
saying that I can treat each and every incoming DID
differently. That makes sense. Especially that I
realised that the wild-card approach would mean that
if I were to actually allocate a 10-digit extension,
it would get treated exactly the same as the incoming
DID-id'ed call. I tried it, and that's exactly what
happened. Your example is a better solution.

> If you get multiple numbers (say regional numbers)
> and you
> want all of them to goto the same place, you can
> wildcard
> like this: (gets past the international numbering
> differences)
>
> [DID]
> exten => _X.,1,Goto(PublicExtensions,8001,1)

But won't this match every single number possible?
Including the extensions I set up? So, for example, if
I had an extension '1234', it would also be sent to
PublicExtensions extension 8001 with priority 1, as
would someone calling extension 8001, as well as
someone calling in from any DID. I'm totally confused
about the way this would behave.

Thanks again,
Maya