[Asterisk-Users] Anyone having trouble with VoicePulse Connect?

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning+asterisk at monsoonwind.com
Fri Feb 18 03:50:08 MST 2005

<quote who="beonice">
> If I understood the little documentation I found on
> 's', it's supposed to be a catchall for ALL incoming
> calls. That's why I assumed it would catch a DID as
> well. If that's not the case, it really should be
> updated in some meta-doc somewhere. :)

"s" is the "start" extension if there is not one already
provided.  When DID comes in, the channel is kindof "predialed".
This is with most digital calls, SIP, IAX, H323, ISDN/PRI...

> So what happens if the DID is _not_ a US DID? I've
> seen users here from Europe and Asia as well ... does
> each country need its own mapping to catch the
> appropriate incoming DID?

DID's are specific to your system.  If you have 4 digit
extensions and I was setup as a "user", then I would need
to send you the 4 digit extension I am trying to get to.

When you purchase DID from a provider, be it VoicePulse over
IAX2 or your local carrier via a PRI, they will dictate what
the DID looks like.  Some will be the last 4 digits, others
will be all 10. (assuming US).  They do this, because it would
be to difficult to maintain your extension mapping on their side.

You purchase a DID.  When a call comes in it says, "This is the
number they were calling, you do your own matching to whatever
extension you want."

> Now, what about the folks who are trying to call other
> countries, and potentially be called by other DIDs
> themselves? I'm assuming this sort of thing is very
> likely.

Usually you do not use wildcards for DIDs.  This is because
people normally purchase more than one.  So, you need to
distinguish between phone numbers.

I currently have two numbers from VoicePulse, so my extensions.conf
has this: (numbers are changed to avoid crank calls)

[DID]
exten => _4157611829,1,Goto(PublicExtensions,8001,1)
exten => _4157611763,1,Goto(PublicExtensions,8003,1)

So, all inbound calls from VoicePulse goto this context.
I jump from here to the extension I want the external phone
number mapped to.

If you get multiple numbers (say regional numbers) and you
want all of them to goto the same place, you can wildcard
like this: (gets past the international numbering differences)

[DID]
exten => _X.,1,Goto(PublicExtensions,8001,1)

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP