[Asterisk-Users] W&M Wink timings for Nortel

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri Feb 18 15:20:22 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>On February 18, 2005 12:32 pm, Rich Adamson wrote:
>>
>>>I'm confused. Digium cards do not support E&M trunks, which are older
>>>interfaces that include either a two-wire or four-wire audio "plus"
>>>two additional wires called the "E" and the "M" leads. So, Wink
>>>timing is irrelevant (unless I'm misunderstanding your question).
>>
>>Uh... my zapata and zaptel.conf exmaple files both show E&M signaling options.
>>I'm no telephony expert but I though that E&M signaling was just buried in the
>>RBS bits like any other CAS T1 signaling.
>

> When I responded to Eric's original post, it sounded like he was trying
> to interface to an older pbx trunk interface (physical interface).
> Those physical E&M interfaces were as described above (each had either
> four or six wires).
>
> What the original post didn't say was the interface to the non-asterisk
> pbx was a T1, and one (or more) of the channels were configured for E&M
> signaling. Completely different then a physical E&M interface. (Someone
> else had asked about a physical interface not more then a couple of
> weeks ago, so the mind was oriented along those lines.)

The original setup was:

CLEC CT1 -> Channel Bank -> (analog) -> Nortel PBX.

Current setup is:

CLEC CT1 -> Astrisk -> CT1 -> Channel Bank (analog) -> Nortel PBX.

The Nortel does not have T-1 interfaces in it and the company is
unwilling to buy a T-1 card for the Nortel.

Only 4 channels of the T-1 are E&M Wink (they are for DIDs), the rest
of the channels are various other things.  For the voice channels that
we care about we terminate the channels into Asterisk.  For channels
we don't care about we use the Zappel DACS stuff to just patch the
channels thru.

Channels 9 - 12 are the E&M Wink channels.  This is what we see:

Failure #1:

-- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/9-1'
Feb 18 16:13:25 WARNING[1965]: chan_zap.c:4723 ss_thread: getdtmf on
channel 9: Operation now in progress
-- Hungup 'Zap/9-1'
-- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/10-1'
Feb 18 16:13:29 WARNING[1966]: chan_zap.c:4723 ss_thread: getdtmf on
channel 10: Operation now in progress
-- Hungup 'Zap/10-1'

Failure #2
-- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/9-1'
Feb 18 16:13:25 WARNING[1965]: chan_zap.c:4723 ss_thread: getdtmf on
channel 9: Operation now in progress
-- Hungup 'Zap/9-1'
-- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/10-1'
-- Executing NoOp("Zap/10-1", "EXTEN=189") in new stack
-- Executing Dial("Zap/10-1", "Zap/G3/189||g") in new stack
-- Called G3/189

In Failure #2 the calls still go thru, as you can see.

As you can see when a call suceeds I do not see the getdtmf WARNING
message.

We have no problems sending calls to the channel bank, only getting
them from the CLEC.  Since the CLEC used to be directly connected to
the channel bank and then to the Nortel I want to get the wink timings
for the nortel to see if making Asterisk match the Nortel settings
make any difference.

--Eric