[Asterisk-Users] W&M Wink timings for Nortel

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Feb 18 15:00:46 MST 2005

> On February 18, 2005 12:32 pm, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > I'm confused. Digium cards do not support E&M trunks, which are older
> > interfaces that include either a two-wire or four-wire audio "plus"
> > two additional wires called the "E" and the "M" leads. So, Wink
> > timing is irrelevant (unless I'm misunderstanding your question).
>
> Uh... my zapata and zaptel.conf exmaple files both show E&M signaling options.
> I'm no telephony expert but I though that E&M signaling was just buried in the
> RBS bits like any other CAS T1 signaling.

When I responded to Eric's original post, it sounded like he was trying
to interface to an older pbx trunk interface (physical interface).
Those physical E&M interfaces were as described above (each had either
four or six wires).

What the original post didn't say was the interface to the non-asterisk
pbx was a T1, and one (or more) of the channels were configured for E&M
signaling. Completely different then a physical E&M interface. (Someone
else had asked about a physical interface not more then a couple of
weeks ago, so the mind was oriented along those lines.)