[Asterisk-Users] Anyone having trouble with VoicePulse Connect?

beonice beonice at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 19:32:52 MST 2005

--- beonice <beonice at yahoo.com> wrote:

  ... snipped ... this thread is getting long ...

> Hmm. I guess that would be one way to do it.
>
> But we still have the issue of what happens when
> calls
> come in from DIDs in other countries. How are our
> colleagues in Europe and Asia handling this? Are you
> all creating handlers that special-case your
> incoming
> DID pattern and then map it to the handler for 's'
> as
> Robert demonstrated above?
>
> I guess the fundamental question is "why is a call
> coming in from a DID any different?" And, of course,
> "does a call coming in _not_ from a DID (maybe via
> an
> SIP device? I don't know what the options are!) get
> automagically handled by the 's' handler without
> special mappings?"
>
> Any deep insight into this issue would be welcome. I
> hate not knowing WHY I have to do magic
> incantations.

To answer my own question, at least partially, here is
a quote from the Asterisk Configuration chapter in
Paul Mahler's book "VoIP Telephony With Asterisk":

Table 1. Reserved Extension Names
Character   Name    Usage
---------   -----   ------
  s         Start   A call that does not have
                    digits associated with it,
                    for example a loopstart
                    analog line, begins at the
                    "s" extension

Interesting. I don't understand it fully, but I'm sure
I will if I stare at it long enough. :) I guess it
implies that calls coming from DIDs have digits
associated with them.

Cheers,
Maya