[Asterisk-Users] Using Hylafax and Digium T100P

Brian M. Arlinghaus asterisk at brianarlinghaus.com
Wed Feb 16 23:52:05 MST 2005

>> Any analog modem (fax or pc) is going to be limited to 9600 baud or
>> slower,
>> and will only achieve that speed if g711 is used through the entire path
>> (including asterisk). If a modem call comes in one T1 (or PRI) and goes
>> out another, asterisk is still handling the pcm packets. The packets
>> don't
>> magically jump across T1 cards (or T1 ports on the same card).
>
> Rich,
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're concluding here, but we routinely fax
> hylafax->asterisk->hylafax and hylafax->asterisk->PSTN in a variety of
> analog and digital configurations, with and without channel banks at
> speeds up to 33,600.
>
> There's no reason Lee's outline:
>
> T1 --> TE405P(1) --> Asterisk --> TE405P(2) --> Patton 2977 --> HylaFAX
>
> won't work perfectly well. Granted the Patton 2997 is limited to 14,400
> maximum, but with other T1 cards such as Eicon Diva Server and Brooktrout
> TR1034 there's no problem negotiating and sustaining V.34 speeds
> (14,400 ->33,600).
>
> -Darren

Darren,

>From what's been said, it looks like in order to use the existing PRI
channels, I either have to use this kind of setup or an analog adapter?
It's good to know that this setup will indeed work.  However, I don't think
that I'm going to get approval to purchase a $3,000 fax card and a $1,500 T1
card.

So I guess I'm stuck with the analog adapters....

Thanks for your help.
Brian