[Asterisk-Users] Re: Why Asterisk can't cope with silence suppression?

Keith O'Brien keitheobrien at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 18:10:04 MST 2005

>>It's more than that, from what I know a *missing* RTP packet could be

>>'silence' (vad) or it could be 'network related' (jitter).  * not seeing

>>a packet doesn't always mean it was vad, it might mean your network had

>>a split second (subsecond) hiccup that caused the packet to disappear -

>>both 'look the same' to *.  This is why someone had already mentioned

>>the idea that the new jitter-buffer might handle this better/correctly

Yes, but you can determine if the packet is missing due to packet loss or if
it is missing due to vad by looking at the RTP sequence numbers and time
stamps.   I agree that the first step to getting this properly working is to
get a better jitter buffer as you have to buffer to a degree to examine the
sequence numbers.