[Asterisk-Users] Using Hylafax and Digium T100P

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Feb 16 16:59:06 MST 2005

> >> Could you explain a litter further?  Thanks.
> >
> > Well, you can do something like this:
> >
> > T1 --> TE405P(1) --> Asterisk --> TE405P(2) --> Patton 2977 --> HylaFAX
> >
> > So you've got a TE405P with 4 ports on it.  Use one port to receive the T1
> > from the telco.  Use another port to connect the T1 fax modem (Patton 2977
> > in this case).
> >
> > When Asterisk gets a call on a "fax" DID, then it just Dial()s it through
> > to the other port, handing the call off to the fax modem.  This way
> > Asterisk shouldn't be involved in anything other than "forwarding" the
> > digital call packets to the fax device.
> >
> > So, if you don't have another port, then you'd need to get an additional
> > T100P to link up the T1 fax modem with Asterisk.
>
> When I send a fax, will the call have to go through Asterisk to get one of
> the outside lines?  If that's the case, I might not be able to send
> reliably.  What do you think?

Any analog modem (fax or pc) is going to be limited to 9600 baud or slower,
and will only achieve that speed if g711 is used through the entire path
(including asterisk). If a modem call comes in one T1 (or PRI) and goes
out another, asterisk is still handling the pcm packets. The packets don't
magically jump across T1 cards (or T1 ports on the same card).