[Asterisk-Users] Re: Why Asterisk can't cope with silence suppression?

Chris Wade clwade at sparco.com
Wed Feb 16 13:13:45 MST 2005

Keith O'Brien wrote:

> "after" receiving a packet. If * never "see's" and >>>incoming rtp
> packet, then it won't send an rtp packet (which usually contains some
> amount of audio). Thus choppy audio >>>in one direction.
>
> So why can’t * just play comfort noise when it doesn’t see any rtp
> packets in a particular bearer channel?   Unless I am missing something
> fundamental this doesn’t seem to be a huge architectural change.  I’d
> have to agree that a lack of proper vad support is a major shortcoming.

It's more than that, from what I know a *missing* RTP packet could be
'silence' (vad) or it could be 'network related' (jitter).  * not seeing
a packet doesn't always mean it was vad, it might mean your network had
a split second (subsecond) hiccup that caused the packet to disappear -
both 'look the same' to *.  This is why someone had already mentioned
the idea that the new jitter-buffer might handle this better/correctly.

-Chris

PS: I may be completely wrong - a guru's statement (although already
listed in the archives multiple times) would be appreciated.