[Asterisk-Users] Re: Why Asterisk can't cope with silence suppression?

Keith O'Brien keitheobrien at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 12:31:14 MST 2005

>>>Essentially its because * has been architected to send an rtp packet
"after" receiving a packet. If * never "see's" and >>>incoming rtp packet,
then it won't send an rtp packet (which usually contains some amount of
audio). Thus choppy audio >>>in one direction.

So why can't * just play comfort noise when it doesn't see any rtp packets
in a particular bearer channel?   Unless I am missing something fundamental
this doesn't seem to be a huge architectural change.  I'd have to agree that
a lack of proper vad support is a major shortcoming.