[Asterisk-Users] ATA's

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Tue Feb 15 16:08:08 MST 2005

See my comments in line

Mark Eissler wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2005, at 3:17 AM, Voip Business wrote:
>
>> hello, my experience
>>
>> 1.-Azatel Azacall 200 GREAT PIECE OF HARDWARE
>> 2.- MTA-V102
>> 3.- Sipura spa 2000
>> 4.- Granstream
>>

>> ATA186 SUXs
>

> I can't speak so fondly of the Azatel which I had sitting around after
> a canceling a VOIP service. Maybe I just need a new firmware rev (but
> they don't exactly make those available at the Azatel site). Plus, the
> web interface is excruciatingly limited. I mean, you can't even
> configure echo cancellation.
>
> I think the ATA186-L2 is kind of pointless at this stage. It's old
> hardware...although Cisco did end up issuing a firmware update last
> year. Still, there's got to be some reason why Cisco as switched to
> using a Sipura produce (the PAP2)....BTW the ATA186 was designed by
> some of the Sipura folks as well.

 From my experience, the ATA is a very solid, dependable piece of
hardware. I was told by a source in the company that OEMs for Cisco, the
units are expensive because of the high quality parts being used. The
web config looks crappy but otherwise where else do you find a $100
device that does SCCP/MGCP/SIP/H323? None of the competitors even come
close to that level of protocol support. For developers who have to work
on various protocols, the ATA is really cool.

And, the ATA is relatively easily to port forward on the firewall. Just
1 SIP + 8 RTP ports, compared to the recommended 2 SIP + 10000 (ten
thousand) RTP ports  + 2 misc ports for the Sipura.

Documentation for the ATA is really good - the usual Cisco standards.
Most of the competitors ship with simple manuals that come nowhere close.

> My choice is still Sipura-branded equipment. There's no way of knowing
> how often firmware will be released for the Linksys-branded stuff or
> what level of support there will be.

I have an SPA3000. The configuration is very comprehensive but the
documentation (the 90+ page version) is not as well written as the ATA.