[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 7, Issue 216

Aldo Bergamini aab.lists at nb-a.com
Tue Feb 15 15:34:09 MST 2005

asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com is believed to have said:

>Hey Everyone,
>
>I downloaded and installed the X-Lite softphone the other day (the lite
>version) and cannot seem to get it to work well.
>
>Don't get me wrong, it registers with my asterisk server and everything
>seems to work well, except the call quality really is horrible.
>
>I thought it may be the place I was trying it at (DSL) so I took it to
>the office and tried it right next to the asterisk box and had the same
>luck.
>
>My laptop is the Dell XPS, so power, ram, etc are not problems, and
>
>There was also no difference between a NAT implementation and a regular
>(live IP) implementation of the software.
>
>I am getting stuttering speech, cutouts, etc all the time.
>
>Running my Cisco 7960 at the same locations and it works fantastic with
>no issues at all.
>
>Is anyone else using this softphone or does anyone know of a better
>softphone or some hints on configuration that may make X-Lite work
>better..?
>
>TIA

Richard,

what codec are you using?

I get good results on MacOS X (client side) with the ulaw codec.

On my sip.conf side I do first disable all codecs; then I enable ulaw and
alaw. On the x-lite side I do actually select G711u as the chosen codec.

HTH

Aldo

PS:

--- from : sip.conf  ----

disallow = all             			; Disallow all codecs

allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=gsm                  ; GSM consumes far less bandwidth than ulaw

--- end-from  ----