[Asterisk-Users] Clarification on Fax capability?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Feb 15 08:05:43 MST 2005

> On Tue, February 15, 2005 7:48 am, Rich Adamson said:
> >  2) simply switching a fax call through * to a tip/ring interface of
> >     some sort that has an attached traditional fax machine.
>
> Does the codec issue with #2 still apply if the incoming fax call is on a
> Zaptel FXO interface?  Is the codec used when connecting two channels on
> the same zaptel card or does the "native bridg[ing]" bypass that?

Funny that you should ask. I just finished testing it using the
faxdetect=incoming method, redirecting the call to a Cisco ata186.
The incoming call arrived on a TDM fxo port. Received the fax header,
but the remainder of the page was blank. The sender received a message
indicating a failure.

Best guess... the tdm driver problem is impacting the ability to send
the fax tones reliably even with g711. Its very likely to be the
interrupt latency and/or pci bus problem on this particular system.