[Asterisk-Users] Cannot reset an IAXy box!!!

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Sun Feb 13 10:00:14 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I was working yesterday and after I provide my IAXy box it loose any
>>> network comunication, the link light (green) is on and the activity
>>> light (orange) when the power is turned on it does nothing, but when
>>> I pickup the phone connected to the box, this light start blinking
>>> once per second. I've use ethereal to sniff a bit and I found that
>>> the box keeps asking to broadcast the MAC address for the IP of the
>>> asterisk server, the server answer but the IAXy miss it and keeps
>>> asking forever. A detail of the capture file of ethereal is
>>> attached to this message in plain text.
>>>
>>> The reset button does nothing (I've read that this button is just a
>>> cosmetic button here:
>>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-November
>>> /074909.html ). Any body has an idea to solve this issue???
>
>> Try re-programming the IAXy. That often fixes these types of
>> problems.
>
> Well, I try to re-provisioning my IAXy box but it has no IP
> at all as I can see in the Ethereal capture:
>
>     Sender MAC address: 00:0f:d3:00:0a:f0 (Digium_00:0a:f0)
>     Sender IP address: 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)

Hmm. Any chance it's trying to get another IP address from DHCP? (from
your description it doesn't sound like it, but who knows - that 0.0.0.0
address is kinda suspicious).

> And if I try to use the 0.0.0.0 IP, the loopback interface
> answer the request and no provisioning is made.

Yeah, I can't see that working. 0.0.0.0 isn't really an address; more
like a lack of one. That's what's got me wondering about DHCP.

> I'm still stuck, if I'm missing something obious please tell me what
> it is.

Those IAXys are pretty quirky when it comes to configuration. You might
need to run this one by Digium support.