[Asterisk-Users] soho fax suggestions?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Feb 12 18:48:32 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

>Need to replace our older soho fax machine with something more current.
>Would like to run the fax line through *, but haven't been able to
>make spandsp work correctly with digium TDM04b card. Our fax volume

This seems to be a problem with the current wctdm driver. It seems to be
broken for audio going out. I used to be able to send faxes reliably
using spandsp and a TDM40P card, but I no longer can. I haven't had time
to look in detail at what is wrong.

>is very low (maybe a few per week), but we have multiple offices in
>three geographic locations and would like to be able to email the
>images to the correct location.
>
>For planning purposes, is it appropriate to think in terms of purchasing
>a t38 capable box even if its not supported by * today? (I'm well aware
>of the bounty and Steve's work.)

If spandsp doesn't work now, spandsp won't work through a T.38 channel.

>If now is the time to purchase a t38 capable fax machine, anyone have
>any suggestions on a low-volume soho-sized box?

It seems the T.38 in a number of units doesn't really work. I'm not
clear how widespread that problem is, but since there are only a few
suppliers of protocol stacks for these boxes I suspect it may be widespread.

Regards,
Steve