[Asterisk-Users] Re: Codec Issue on IAX trunk? (Solved)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Feb 12 09:44:11 MST 2005

> > Those type changes to iax.conf require a full stop of
> > asterisk followed by a cold asterisk startup. A restart
> > from the CLI won't cut it.
>
> Ahh!  That's a very important piece of information!
>

> > Were you previously doing the CLI restart?
>
> I did lots a CLI "reloads", and few cold restarts to the ast33 machine, but no cold restarts
on the ast551 machine until after business hours (it's a production machine), and then I did a
cold restart at the same time I did the recompile.  That explains things.  Hopefully, I won't
have to make any more changes like this, although I guess I could use the "restart when
convenient" command.  Now I just have to figure out why a cold restart is needed.

I haven't tried to keep track of the code changes involving reloads
(or cli restarts for that matter), but having been around * for a fair
amount of time and having been caught with making changes that have
had no affect, I'll usually play it very safe and simply stop / start
asterisk for many different changes. Iax and sip def's in particular.

Reloads are fine for lots of things, but experience is the only way
to know what's acceptable at this point.