[Asterisk-Users] Searchable Mailing Lists & NooB Question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Feb 10 22:32:01 MST 2005

Looks like your numbers add the transmit and receive data rates together,
which is not a realistic way to discuss bandwidth consumption. An IAX
link consumes about 22kb/s (round it to 30kb/s, who cares) in the transmit
direction, and another 22kb/s in the receive direction. (There's your
60kb/s.)

When comparing my numbers to things like 256,000 bits/sec of DSL
bandwidth, you truly are comparing apples to apples. So, if you
could orchestrate all IAX calls to be just exactly perfect across the
256,000 bits/sec DSL bandwidth, that DSL circuit could supposedly
handle about eight simultanous gsm calls (256,000 divided by 30,000).
However, there are lots of other real world issues that would preclude
it from actually supporting anything close to eight calls. Four to
six might be realistic if nothing else is using the DSL circuit.