[Asterisk-Users] Why echo occurs

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Feb 10 22:00:20 MST 2005

Hi Eric,

Before VoIP and digital cellular systems, audio samples passed down the
communication path with little more delay than the pseed of light. A
couple of samples delay might be incurred in switching equipment, but
most operators demand a 3 sample maximum hardware delay down the line.
Now audio samples are bundled (typically in 20-30ms chunks) for
packetising, and to go through low bit rate codecs. Then the bundles get
queued in IP routers, creating further latency.

VoIP uses massive amounts of complexity in a struggle to offset the
effects of these delays, and approach the quality older telephony
achieved with simple equipment. In the end the simple equipment will
always beat it. That said, in another 10 years there will probably be no
traditional PSTN. Strange, huh?

Regards,
Steve