[Asterisk-Users] Why echo occurs

Eric Bishop asterisk.eric at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 21:35:18 MST 2005

OK I understand that the $5 handset may indeed have an echo but that
it occurs so fast that it is not preceived as an echo. I pose the
following questions:

1. Is the echo (regardless of it's speed) a side effect of long
distance communications or is it there by design for some technical
purpose?

2. Is only a problem in 2-wire technologies (ie analog and BRI ISDN lines)?

3. Where exactly is the slowdown occuring? For example take my Supira
3000 as a case in point. It takes no longer for the PSTN signal to
reach the Sipura's FXO port than it does my $5 handset. Going from the
other end it takes no longer for the SIP signal to reach to the
Sipura's ethernet port than it does any other IP phone. So logically
the slowdown is happening as Sipura converts the PSTN signal to SIP
and so forth. Is it just that the Sipura/TDM400 etc. have a too slow
conversion CPU. Would a faster digital to analogue audio converter
"fix" the the problem?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:10:16 -0500, timebandit001 at gmail.com