[Asterisk-Users] Searchable Mailing Lists & NooB Question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Feb 10 20:59:35 MST 2005

> > with 32Kbps upstream you can run into troubles while trying to transmit
> > voice to vonage or other operator due to bandwidth.
> >

> Just to make sure we are not confusing bits and Bytes here... I have
> 32 kilo bytes per second... please oh please just be a "b" and "B"
> misunderstanding.
>
> I was actually worried about upstream bandwidth.  This is really going
> to make swallow some pride if I have to go out and buy Comcast cable.
> Looks like they are offering 48 kBps (384 kbps).

Critch missed the "B". Your 256k bandwidth should be just fine for one
or two simultanous calls, or more it you use a reasonable provider that
supports low bandwidth codecs.

Very rough numbers: iax-gsm consumes about 22kb/s, g711 about 80kb/s on
the wire. Just don't try to run a commercial web server, etc, over the
same link unless you can set up QoS, etc.

Lots of good info on the wiki ( www.voip-info.org ) for reference.