[Asterisk-Users] Searchable Mailing Lists & NooB Question

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Feb 10 18:11:38 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 16:00 -0800, Geoff Scott wrote:
> Quick question.
>
> New to the project, and generally I like to sniff through the mailing
> list archives.  Are there no searchable archives?  I've only found the
> monthly archive files for download.  Normally I would have searched
> the for the answer to the following question:

google google google, learn to use google. Learn to look at the advanced
search options. Notice that you can set the results to only come from a
site.

Also, maybe you should notice that the last link of every page sends you
to the appropriate mailman page for the mailing list. On that page is a
link to the archives. On that page, you can select to view any month by
thread, subject, Author, or date. Pretty simple.

> I'm getting ready to set up a * server at home.  No digium equipment.
> Using FWD and maybe Vonage in the not too distant future.  After that,
> I will consider adding one FXO and FXS port (maybe the digium dev
> kit).  I'm planning this on a Celleron 400mhz.  Should I even attempt
> this?  The box will also be running a web server and a chat server
> (Jabber).
>
> Any thing I should watch out for?  Any surprises I could run into?  I
> have a DSL line that is 32 kBs up.

You are joking right? You think you are going to do any voice over a
link that is half of the bandwidth of a phone call and you think you
will have a webserver and jabber server on it.

Even using GSM codec, you will probably only get 1 call to work when
nothing else is working. Last I checked FWD only accepted G729 and ulaw.
You will never get ulaw across that link and you will have to purchase a
G729 license.