[Asterisk-Users] SIP jitter?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Thu Feb 10 15:07:21 MST 2005

>> So?  That's what CVS-HEAD is there for.
>
> Adding in experimental patches willy-nilly, especially ones that have
> the potential to cause huge problems, confounds attempts to isolate
> bugs and test functionality.
>
> Mark does a pretty good job of keeping the HEAD version solid enough
> to use in production, as most of us running it on a daily basis can
> attest.

huh? HEAD isn't for production. That's part of the game. HEAD is where
new stuff goes, then comes the Feature freeze, and then comes the
stabilization period. If not, HEAD should be split to not-so-HEAD and
HEAD, IMHO.

> What stops you from applying the patches to your own copy, and then
> playing with it to your heart's content--like the rest of us?  It
> would work just like it had really been put into CVS-HEAD.

I thought it was agreed that the current jitter handling sucked, and a
new one is needed. All people running anything apart from IAX, and also
those who do, suffers from jitter now. This should go into HEAD.

> And if it's important to you, you can then *pretend* that it was in
> the original download.

If this is put into HEAD, lots of people test and use it and it
stabilizes a lot faster than me sitting in my office hacking it. That
should be obvious.

roy