[Asterisk-Users] CallPickup from SIP phone

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Feb 10 10:11:37 MST 2005

> >> SIP phones (cisco 7940's and SPA-841s) all with pickupgroup=0 in
> >> sip.conf.
> >
> > Yes, it works fine from my 7960.
> >
> > On the 7960, I pick up ringing calls by pressing *8#. If that does not
> > work for you, then ensure you don't have any extensions.conf entries
> > that override *8, that all phone def's in sip.conf that you want to
> > be able to pickup include something like callgroup=2, and the phone
> > def's that you want to use the *8# have the pickupgroup=2.
>
> Should I be dialing "star-eight-pound" or "star-eight" followed by a
> callgroup or pickupgroup number?
>
> You suggest setting "pickupgroup" for all the phones.  I've done this
> setting the value to 0 thinking that users would be dialing *80 to pickup
> ringing calls in group 0.  Where should the "callgroup" settings go?  I
> don't have that anywhere.
>
> Seems I'm mixing things up.

Unless something has changed in asterisk that I missed, I don't believe
it is possible to use *8<group #>.

As mentioned previously, those phones that have a defined 'pickupgroup'
are the only ones that can pick up a phone/line that has been defined
with a 'callgroup'. If you have a small installation, then just include
something like:
 callgroup=2
 pickupgroup=2
in all sip phone definitions. (I don't know if '0' is a valid number
that can be assigned to callgroup or pickupgroup. You might test it
after you've made it work with some other number.)