[Asterisk-Users] Using asterisk on a single phone line

Job 317 job317 at mailvault.com
Thu Feb 10 07:56:05 MST 2005

I have asterisk installed on a linux workstation (1 phone in and 1
phone out jack). I have a single phone line that goes through this
system. The box has a Smart/Lucent V.90 56 Kbps Fax/Data modem.

# lspci -v
01:08.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
        Subsystem: Risq Modular Systems, Inc.: Unknown device 044e
        Flags: fast Back2Back, medium devsel, IRQ 9
        Memory at f4100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=256]
        I/O ports at 2400 [disabled] [size=8]
        I/O ports at 2000 [disabled] [size=256]
        Capabilities: [f8] Power Management version 2

The phone line goes in the data port and out of the phone port to the
phone and I currently make/recieve calls this way.

I want to configure Asterisk to show me any available data about any
calls (i.e. phone numbers, caller-id) as well as screen unwanted calls
to voice mail (if possible), play recoreded messages based on specified
incoming phone numbers.

My first question is, can asterisk do that?

If so, can someone point me to documentation to explain how to set these
features up?

Also, what (if any) specific kernel support do I need? I build my own
linux kernels and I usually turn off telephony and isdn support in the
kernel.

Thanks,

Job