[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk Compile Problem on Red Hat 9 solved

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Wed Feb 9 12:43:07 MST 2005

Hi Vince -

> My next goal is to setup 1 SIP channel, and be able to call the
> Asterisk PBX
> from a softphone.
>
> Then setup 2 SIP channes and be able to call one from another.
>
> What is the best open source softphone software available for this?
>
> And what is the best documentation source for finding out how to setup
> the
> channesl and Asterisk in general?

Well, you're in luck.  The folks at O'Reilly have put together a little
guide showing just what you're looking to do.  You can find it at:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html

I agree with Marco - SJPhone is a good simple SIP softphone.  X-lite is
also popular and has a few more features, but is a little more bloated
(slower).  You can find info about setting up these phones for use with
Asterisk on the Wiki - http://www.voip-info.org/

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20phone%20sjphone
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?
page=Asterisk%20phone%20xten%20xlite

There are many other softphones listed here:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones#id919863

- Noah