[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and SER Integration together

Dana Olson rickaster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:06:15 MST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:44:30 -0500, Paul Rodan <asterisk at glitch.cc> wrote:

> I know FWD uses a SER/Asterisk combo, and I keep hearing about the massive
> benefits, however, my initial playing around in SER's configuration
> indicates it's NOTHING like Asterisk at all, and almost 5x as difficult to
> understand and configure. But that's only after a few hours of playing with
> it.
>

> I'm interested in learning SER more, especially the integration with
> Asterisk. Is there a good how-to guide with lots of examples on how to
> accomplish this optimal setup? Anybody got any good links or resources or
> can help me with examples? Right now I have Asterisk doing all the work and
> it's getting frustrating w/ Quality issues left and right and such.

It's not nearly as easy as Asterisk is to understand, but it works. I
have really very limited experience with it, but just to give you an
example of the support out there for it:

I was trying to figure out how to forward a call from a user who
called to ext at ser-system to ext at asterisk-system and I tried many
different ways. I couldn't get it right. I read the how-to, read
through the document, and it wasn't very clear. I went onto IRC and
asked for help, and someone told me that I should just use Asterisk. I
said I didn't want to, and gave reasons why. They said that to do a
forward it was very complex, and I'd be better off just using Asterisk
or hiring a consultant to build it for me, and that they had no idea
how to do it. Anyhow, I figured it out finally, after reading a
totally unrelated mailing list thread. Fast forward a half hour, this
same person asks me how many lines we have at my company and states
that they would like some of our business...

SER seems powerful and it's all the rage, and from what I can tell,
it'll be fun to learn it... I'd like to see better documentation for
it, and if I ever get to the point where I can provide it, I will.