[Asterisk-Users] SPA-841 Call Waiting

Daryll Strauss daryll.strauss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 10:30:52 MST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:24:53 -0800, Paul Crick
<web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com> wrote:
> Maybe something will change in a future software release..

The terminology between VOIP and POTS is different and unclear. If I
go in to an office supply store and buy a 2 line phone, it plugs in to
two wall jacks and I can get call waiting, 3-way calling, and on-hold
capability on each line. The SPA-841 is more accurately called a 2
call appearance phone. 2 call appearances can be configured as 1 line
(with full features) or 2 (lines without the extra features). From
reading the ads of other phone providers some use the term "call
appearance" and some use the term "line", which I guess means there is
no standard yet.

For an additional $30 you can upgrade your SPA-841 to be a 4 call
appearance phone and get the functionality you want, but I doubt
they're going to do it for free in a software upgrade. I'd rather see
them clearly state it supports 2 call appearanances in their
literature since that's an important detail. They don't seem to say
that on their website or in their data sheet.

- |Daryll